Friday, January 18, 2013

[the very best medicine]

The last few days I've felt crappy. Finally stayed home yesterday to sleep and try to get over a cough/sore throat/headache cold. You know, the typical winter sickness almost everyone eventually gets hit with.

Then I woke up with another huge headache this morning and started feeling sorry for myself again. That's an easy thing to do when you don't fell good isn't it? At least it is for me.

But after a hot shower, breakfast and a cup of coffee, I sat down to read my Bible for the first time since Wednesday night. Immediately I was grateful for how it changed my perspective and got my eyes off myself onto God again. I'm sure the DayQuil kicking in also helped, but really, just to read God's truth and be reminded of what really matters, was very refreshing, very needed and very humbling. Reminded me of Psalm 119:103:

"How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth." 

Easter does the same thing. Gets our eyes off what we've done or how we feel and back to Christ and what He's done.

And no matter what our mountain is today - not feeling great, loneliness, sour work attitude, stressing over to-do's, finances or __________________ (you fill in the blank) - we can be encouraged that in light of the cross, everything seems quite small and insignificant. They seen like mountains to us today, yes, but in the grand perspective of things, they're just mole hills, just little bumps along the way.

Take a moment to read God's Word today. It's good, sweet, powerful, timeless truth, and for me today, the very best medicine.


No comments:

Post a Comment